Photo: © Chrystal Cherniwchan
• 2013 - present:
Heilbronn reader in combinatorics and number theory, University of Bristol, UK.
• 2013 - 2015:
Associate professor (with tenure), École polytechnique, Paris, France [on leave].
• 2010 - 2013:
Hadamard associate professor, École polytechnique, Paris, France.
• 2008 - 2010:
Triennial assistant professor, Rutgers The State University of New Jersey, New Brunswick, NJ.
• 2008 (autumn):
Postdoctoral fellow, Mathematical Sciences Research Institute, Berkeley, CA.
• 2008 (summer):
SPUR mentor/MITES instructor, Massachusetts Institute of Technology, Cambridge, MA.
• 2007 - 2008:
Member, School of Mathematics, Institute for Advanced Study, Princeton, NJ.
Habilitation à diriger des recherches, Université Paris-Sud (Orsay), examining committee: E. Breuillard, B. Green, E. Fouvry, H. Helfgott, B. Host, A. Plagne.
• 2003 - 2008:
Ph.D., Department of Pure Mathematics and Mathematical Statistics, University of Cambridge, under the supervision of W.T. Gowers, FRS.
• 2002 - 2003:
Clare College, University of Cambridge: Certificate of Advanced Study in Mathematics with Distinction (Part III of the Mathematical Tripos).
• 1999 - 2002:
Clare College, University of Cambridge: BA (Hons) Mathematics (First Class).
• 2017 (spring):
Simons Institute for the Theory of Computing, Berkeley.
• 2013 (autumn):
Simons Institute for the Theory of Computing, Berkeley.
• 2011 (autumn):
Erwin Schrödinger Institute, Vienna.
• 2011 (spring):
Isaac Newton Institute, Cambridge.
• 2006 (spring):
Visiting graduate student at the Massachusetts Institute of Technology, Cambridge MA, USA, under the supervision of B.J. Green.
• 2005 (autumn):
Pre-doc position at the Universitat Politècnica de Catalunya, Barcelona, Spain, with O. Serra. Sponsored by the EU Marie Curie Research Training Network COMBSTRU.
• 2016: Anne Bennett Prize, London Mathematical Society.
• 2015: Shortlisted as 1 in 3 for Outstanding Teaching Award in the Faculty of Science, University of Bristol.
• 2008: Hartley Rogers Jr. Prize, Massachusetts Institute of Technology.
• 2003: Robins Prize, Clare College, University of Cambridge.
• 2002: Harry Paten Scholarship in Mathematics and Owst Prize for Mathematics, Clare College, University of Cambridge.
• 2016: Heilbronn Institute for Mathematical Research Focused Research Grant, with T. Bloom.
• 2015: semester-long research programme on Pseudorandomness at the Simons Institute for the Theory of Computing, Berkeley, to be held Spring 2017, with J. Fox, B. Green, R. Impagliazzo, L. Trevisan and D. Zuckerman
• 2014: LMS conference grant "Celebrating new appointments".
• 2012 - 2015: ANR programme Blanc CAESAR, with E. Breuillard, A. Granville, H. Helfgott, A. Plagne et al.
• 2003 - 2007: Gates Cambridge Scholarship, Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation.
English, French, German and Spanish fluent, basic Italian and Arabic, Latin diploma.
My research focuses on identifying and quantifying arithmetic structure in dense sets of integers and combines Fourier-analytic, combinatorial and probabilistic methods. It forms part of a thriving area called arithmetic combinatorics, a subject that includes many beautiful results such as the Green-Tao Theorem on long arithmetic progressions in the primes. Some of my work has close connections with ergodic theory and applications to theoretical computer science.
For a list of my publications, please see my publications page.
Organisation of seminars and conferences
• Co-organiser (chair) of a semester-long research programme on Pseudorandomness at the Simons Institute for the Theory of Computing, Berkeley, to be held Spring 2017, with J. Fox, B. Green, R. Impagliazzo, L. Trevisan and D. Zuckerman.
• Co-organiser of a Heilbronn Focused Research Group on "Recent breakthroughs using the polynomial method", 19th-23rd September 2016, with T. Bloom.
• Co-organiser of the BMC 2016 Special Session in Combinatorics, with T. Bloom.
• Co-organiser "Combinatorics meets ergodic theory", workshop at Banff International Research Station, 20th-24th July 2015, with B. Kra and N. Frantzikinakis.
• Co-organiser Bristol-Oxford 1-day meeting in additive combinatorics, University of Bristol, biannually
since September 2014, initially supported by a Celebrating New Appointments grant of the LMS,
now with B. Green and T. Browning.
• Co-organiser (chair) of the workshop "Finding Algebraic Structures in Extremal Combinatorial Configurations" at IPAM, Los Angeles, 19th-23rd May 2014, with E. Breuillard, B. Green, J. Solymosi and T. Tao.
• Co-organiser of the workshop "Neo-classical methods in discrete analysis" at the Simons Institute for the Theory of Computing, 2nd-6th December 2013, with L. Trevisan.
• Co-organiser of the international conference "Additive Combinatorics in Paris" at the Institut Henri Poincaré in Paris, 9th-13th July 2012, with A. Plagne, E. Balandraud, B. Girard and W. Schmid.
• Co-organiser of the 1-day colloquium "Journée Combinatoire et Informatique" at École polytechnique, 4th July 2012, with B. Charron-Bost.
• Organiser "Groupe de travail en combinatoire arithmetique", IHP, 2011-2013.
• Co-organiser of the Discrete Math Seminar at Rutgers, spring and autumn 2009, together with V. Vu.
• Co-organiser of the Analysis Seminar at the Institute for Advanced Study, Spring 2008, together with T. Sanders.
Seminar talks and conference presentations
For a list of all invited conference presentations and seminars that I have given, please see my talks page.
Talks for a general mathematical audience
• June 2018: British Mathematics Colloquium public lecture, University of St Andrews.
• April 2017: Open lecture, Simons Institute, University of California Berkeley.
• February 2016: Mathematics Department Colloquium, Warwick University.
• December 2015: Sofia Kovalevskaya Colloquium, Berlin Mathematical School.
• November 2015: Pure Mathematics Colloquium, University of Sheffield.
• February 2014: Landscapes in Mathematical Sciences, University of Bath.
• November 2012: Forum des jeunes mathématicien-ne-s, plenary lecture, IHP, Paris.
• May 2012: Colloquium de l'Institut de Mathématiques de Jussieu, Paris.
• April 2012: Young Researchers in Mathematics 2012, plenary lecture, University of Bristol.
• March 2012: Séminaire Bourbaki, IHP, Paris.
• January 2010: Mathematics Department Colloquium, UG Athens, GA.
• October 2009: Women in Mathematics Lecture Series, MIT, Cambridge, MA.
• October 2008: Mathematics Department Colloquium, UC Santa Cruz, CA.
Invited lecture series
• August 2015: AGRA 2015: Summer school on arithmetic, groups and analysis, CIMPA, Cusco, Peru [in Spanish].
• October 2014: Additive Combinatorics Doctoral School, Freie Universität Berlin.
• June 2012: Colloque Jeunes Chercheurs en Théorie des Nombres, École normale supérieure, Lyon [in French].
• January 2012: First French-Chilean Congress in Dynamics and Combinatorics, Saint-Valery-sur-Somme, France.
• 2014 - present: supervising doctoral students L. Rimanic and P.-Y. Bienvenu, University of Bristol.
• 2014 - present: mentoring postdoctoral fellow T. Bloom, University of Bristol.
• 2014: supervised undergraduate summer research project of A. Saad, University of Bristol.
• 2013: supervised masters thesis of P.-Y. Bienvenu (Master 2), Ecole normale supérieure.
• 2012 - 2013: mentored postdoc P. Candela, joint with H. Helfgott.
• 2012: supervised stage de recherche of E. Naslund (Master 1) at Ecole polytechnique; results of this project were presented at the CMS Winter Meeting 2012 and won a graduate student poster prize.
• 2008: supervised research projects of C. Link and Y. Lin at MIT as part of the "Summer Program in Undergraduate Research" (SPUR); both received a departmental award and one resulted in a peer-reviewed publication.
Research degree examination
• 2016: external Ph.D. examiner of P. Mazur, University of Oxford.
• 2014: internal Ph.D. examiner of T. Bloom, University of Bristol.
• 2013: external Ph.D. examiner of O. Roche-Newton, University of Bristol.
• 2012: member of the doctoral thesis committee of N. de Saxcé, Université Paris-Sud (Orsay).
For more details on individual courses, please see my teaching pages.
• In the autumn of 2015 I designed and taught a new 3rd year project unit entitled "Ramsey theory on the integers"; nominated by the School of Mathematics for a University teaching award.
During the academic year 2015-2016 I had curriculum oversight and overall responsibility for 3rd/4th year undergraduate course
"Topics in discrete mathematics" at the University of Bristol, taught by Heilbronn research fellows.
• During the spring semester 2015 I designed and taught a new 2nd year undergraduate course in "Combinatorics" at the University of Bristol; shortlisted for a student-led teaching award in the Faculty of Science.
• During the autumn semester 2014 I designed and taught a new graduate course entitled "Analysis of points and lines" at the University of Bristol, as part of the Taught Course Centre, transmitted live to Oxford, Imperial, Bath and Warwick.
• During the spring semester 2014 I taught a 1st year undergraduate course entitled "Further topics in analysis" at the University of Bristol, as well as weekly small-group tutorials in pure mathematics.
• During the autumn semester 2013 I taught a graduate course entitled "Introduction to additive combinatorics" at the University of Bristol, as part of the Taught Course Centre.
• In the spring semesters 2012 and 2013 I designed and taught a new graduate course (Master 1) at École polytechnique entitled "Mathématiques discrètes, combinatoire arithmétique et codes (MAT562)". Over the two semesters I supervised a total of 9 accompanying reading projects (of Part III-essay type).
• In the spring semester 2011 I taught Petites Classes for "Analyse Réelle et Complexe (MAT311)" at École polytechnique.
• In the autumn semester 2010 I taught Petites Classes for "Distributions, Fourier Analysis and Dynamical Systems (MAT431)".
• During the summers of 2008 and 2010 I taught "Advanced (multivariable) Calculus" in the program Minority Introduction To Science and Engineering (MITES) at the Massachusetts Institute of Technology.
• During the spring semester 2010 I designed and taught a graduate course entitled "Topics in Probability and Ergodic Theory: Arithmetic structure in the integers and the primes (592)" at Rutgers.
• During the spring and autumn semesters 2009 I taught "Mathematical Theory of Probability (477) and Calculus II for the Mathematical and Physical Sciences (152)" at Rutgers.
• Between October 2003 and June 2007 I taught around 60 undergraduate students at the University of Cambridge in groups of two or three in Analysis I (first year), Probability (first year), Analysis II (second year) and Prime Numbers (fourth year).
Public engagement and outreach
• 2017: Coulter McDowell Lecture, Royal Holloway.
• 2016: Women in mathematics: Opportunities for the future, Bristol.
• 2016: LMS Popular Lectures, London and Birmingham.
• 2015: Ada Lovelace Day public lecture and interview with Bristol 24/7.
• 2014: Prospects in Mathematics, University of Oxford.
• 2012: Images des Mathématiques, CNRS.
• 2011: La nuit des chercheurs, Ecole polytechnique.
• 2009: Pi-Club, Rutgers University.
• 2009: Mathematical Ideas and Careers Lecture series, Rutgers University.
• 2004: Dilettante Society, Clare College, with Sir N. Barrington.
Refereeing and reviewing
• 2016 - present: Member of the editorial board of Integers.
• 2015 - present: Founding editor of the arXiv overlay journal Discrete Analysis.
• 2013 - present: Editor-in-Chief of the Online Journal of Analytic Combinatorics.
• Referee for various journals, including Proc. London Math. Soc., Trans. Amer. Math. Soc., Proc. Amer.
Math. Soc., Adv. Math., Math. Res. Lett., Int. Math. Res. Not., Israel J. Math., Proc. Edinb. Math. Soc., Glasg. Math. J., Collect. Math., Electron. Res. Annouc. Math. Sci., Forum of Mathematics Sigma, Ann. Comb., Finite Fields Appl., J. Combin. Theory Ser. A, J. Comb., Electron. J. Combin., Combinatorica, SIAM J. Comput., J. ACM.
• Referee for various grant agencies, including the US National Security Agency, the US-Israel Binational Science Foundation, the Israel Science Foundation and the French Ministry of Research and Higher Education.
• Regular reviewer for mathscinet (36) and Zentralblatt MATH (22).
Other professional activities
• 2015-present: Associate chair of the Heilbronn Institute for Mathematical Research
• 2016: Co-author of EPSRC landscape document in Combinatorics, with D. Kuhn and D. Kral.
• 2012-2013: Coordinator "stages de recherche" for the masters MAT-INF at École polytechnique.
• 2012-2015: Elected member of the Comité de département at École polytechnique.
• 2012-2015, 2015-2018: Elected member of the Board of Trustees of the Association of Members of the Institute for Advanced Study, Princeton.
• Member of the London Mathematical Society and European Women in Mathematics.
• Numerous performances with amateur orchestras as a violinist, most recently the Brunel Sinfonia, the Cambridge Symphony and the Mercury Orchestra in Cambridge, MA and the Cambridge Graduate Orchestra (orchestral manager and section leader violin II) in Cambridge, UK.
• MA, NJ and NY state-certified Emergency Medical Technician with BLS and ACLS. Most recently volunteered with the Central Park Medical Unit in Manhattan, in the past worked with the British Red Cross, at Addenbrooke's hospital and with Student Community Action, Cambridge.
• Certified vinyasa teacher, Yoga Alliance US and Fédération Française de Yoga.
Available upon request.